- Daniel compares an old game show, to Freestyle. Apparently both Randy & Jake follow and apply his logic, they all bank it!
- Randy asks Daniel if he could steel someone else’s moves, what would he take, and why? Find out what he says.
- Daniel shares his Cirque du Soleil experience, which was SO cool!
- AND, Daniel has many ideas about continuing to incorporate Freestyle at that level. If anyone can do it, he can!
Exciting News! Because City vs City was such a success in 2019, we will be doubling the number of teams in 2020! Stay tuned to find out which cities will be competing and when to tune in.
- City Folk Podcast is featuring an episode on Freestyle Frisbee, featuring an interview with Brad Keller, and it is definitely worth a listen. It starts with one of the best descriptions of Freestyle Frisbee ever
- Patrick talks about demos back in the day, and his experience as the half time entertainment for the Globe Trotters in Toronto. Playing in those big arenas is truly an amazing feeling.
- Patrick shares how Freestyle won over the border guards during a challenging crossing at the Canadian border.
- Randy asks Patrick his thoughts on why all the demos and freebies haven’t attracted more jammers. A discussion about mentors, access points, education, and friendship, follows.
- What was your access point to Freestyle? If we had an infusion of cash, what are your ideas for creating sustainable access points?
- Here’s the article Jake references in the discussion.
Skippy Jammer, you’re awesome, thanks for your contribution to Frisbee Guru!!
We discuss what the heck just happened in Budapest with the below panel.
Skippy Jammer – WFDF Freestyle Chair.
Paul Kenny – FPA Executive Director.
Lori Daniels – FPA Board member & onsite commentator at WUG.
Jake Gauthier – Commentator for WUG live stream via The Olympic Channel.
Emma Kahle & Daniel O’Neill – winners of the gold medal at the inaugural WUG 2019.
Can you believe it?! This is episode 100!! Woo Hoo! Jake & Randy talk about their personal observations. They both feel they’ve grown as a result of the numerous conversations they’ve had & the various points of view they’ve heard. They reminisce a bit over the last two and a half years and talk about some of their favorite episodes.
Rick continues his stories down memory lane and all his favorite Freestyle hot spots in California…Jake asks about some rumored psychological war fare during competition. Rick has some good Donny Rhodes & Joey Hudoklin stories, but when it comes down to saying who is “best” it isn’t possible to choose. Rick says in 1984, he was probably the best, but it was short lived. Rick says the key to being great is commitment; watch videos, and play a lot, with lots of different people. It is a continual learning process, and everyone has a different way of approaching how they get to that place of flow.
The next episode will be a recap of the World Urban Games.
FPA World’s is coming October 10-13 in Seattle, as well as a celebration of Hall of Fame inductees. It will all be live streamed!
- Daniel reflects on his first tournament in 2010 at Virginia States. He and James were newcomers and learned so much playing by playing coop with Zanardi – Emmanuele Faustini. It was also the first time Daniel had seen all of the Frisbee competitions coming together in one place.
- Daniel shares his introduction to Paul Kenny, and what an influence and mentor he has been on both he and James. It was his tiny college dorm room that the three of them put together their first routine for the 2012 Worlds, sans frisbee.
- One of Daniel’s fondest memories is winning in Riccione, despite challenging wind conditions.
- Daniel explains his thought process when choreographing his routines, and how his partner and the music play into that.
- He also talks about the skills he has carried over from performing professionally in Cirque de Soleil and Pilobolus.
World Urban Games is coming September 14th – It will be streamed on the “Olympic Channel” so please watch for more details and a list of all the players! Go Freestylers!
- In 1986 Kate graduated, left Santa Barbara for San Diego and was pleasantly surprised by the new group of people that created an impressive Freestyle scene.
- Kate talks about the relationships between players of the other disc sports and why she thinks there were certain connotations they had of Freestylers.
- Randy asks Kate about her process when creating a routine.
- A move to Reno for a job and finishing her dissertation required her to put Freestyle on hold for a while.
- Then other life happened and took her in a different direction.
- Her desire is there, but her body parts don’t always cooperate.
- Kate shares some of her favorite Frisbee experiences, tricks, and kitchen utensils.
- She also has some valuable advice for new players.
Kate’s professional life has really taken off and she recently published a book called Fear-Less: The Art of Using Anxiety to Your Advantage. Learn more about the exciting work she is doing at KateDow.com
- In 1989, WFDF was held in England, and Konn shares his experience playing with Adrian Wainright.
- Although they did not have the most ideal practice circumstances, they focused on difficulty vs presentation, and they ended up winning.
- Konn, Jake, & Randy discuss the variables that drive performance & how judging impacts the game.
- Konn has some interesting thoughts on how he views difficulty and the correlation to the amount of time it takes to master certain moves.
- Konn shares his impressions of meeting Donny Rhoades for the first time.
- Congrats to Jake & Ryan on their recent WFDF win!
- Toronto Raptors win!!
- Charles Tips book was his go to guide and find out who the HOF “guy” was who changed his life forever.
- Toronto has a “beach” scene with a sweet wind?
- Ken Westerfield – mentor and showman took Patrick and others under his wing and showed them the demo ropes.
- Kosmic Katastrophe – what the heck is it and why is it a Canadian thing.
- The Death Disc & Buzz Bee – just what you think they might be:)
WFDF – World Overall Championship – Freestyle will be live streamed July 12 & 13 and don’t miss the new integration with the judging system. You will be able to see the players names and how they scored live, plus much more!